- FOIA REQUEST to State of Michigan Department of Human Services: HERE
- UPDATE ON FOIA REQUEST: HERE
- ACTUAL FOIA REQUEST: HERE
The above requests are directed to the Michigan Department of Human Services the Financial Data Match program required for the states to receive voluntary grant and incentive monies from the federal government.
Here are some great examples of what can happen with citizens' information that is in the hands of incompetent state agencies:
- Child Support Paperwork Glitch Exposes Private Information of over 10,000 Citizens: HERE
- Mounting Accountability Problems With Child Support Programs: HERE
- Identity Theft:: Opt Out of Family Court Services Before it Happens to YOU!: HERE
- Privatization, Identity Theft, and Crony Capitalism" http://www.unbossed.com/index.php?itemid=1186
- Hacker Breaks Into Nebraska Child-Support Database" FoxNews.Com, June 29, 2006
- Vermont Computer Hacked: 70,000 users at risk" Lock Down Your Identity January 30, 2007
- California Faxes 1170 Citizen's Private Information to Wrong Place: Press Release: California DCSS January 30, 2007
One blatantly apparent problem with Michigan's Financial Data Match program is that banks could potentially share citizen's information without their knowledge and without them having any open family court cases. This give the opportunity to the requesting agency to sift through the information of anyone's accounts that is greater than $500.00 as a potential match to an open family court case. The problem also is when a wrong match is made and money is taken from an individual that there is no recourse because the state has granted immunity from liability in these actions.
Do you want your personal information shared with government agencies that don't have adequate safeguards, violate federal privacy regulations, and laptops containing confidential information about you floating loosely around all over the place? Do you want to have to rebuild your credit from scratch because of mistakes made by incompetent government agencies that are sharing information back and forth?
Additional Criminal Activities that may already be occuring with your private information:
definitely time to reign in free for all welfare spending programs like Title IV-D (Child Support Enforcement Programs) to slim down an over sized government bureaucracy and restore some safety controls to
prevent it from stealing from parents, children, and the nation's
taxpayers. It's time to shrink this agency back to only providing
services to actual needy families, instead of forcing collections from
middle and upper-income families at taxpayer expense and exposing millions to potential identity theft.